Monday, November 3, 2008

The Rocknrolla Post

Guy Richie made Snatch- one of my favorite movies in recent memory. Unfortunately he also managed to squeeze out Revolver a few years back, which ranks as one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen (proof). Despite the conflicting quality to his films I was excited for Rocknrolla and his apparent return to making good movies. Fortunately I wasn’t let down as Rocknrolla is an intertwining, gritty crime drama just as much as Snatch or Lock Stock ever where. There is a notable lack of Riche’s regulars, namely Statham and Jones, but that aside the movie matches up with all of the trademark elements needed to get the movie off the ground and as far away from Revolver as possible. The plot, as it has been in the past, is too convoluted to summarize, but primarily focuses on a ragtag group of crooks who end up stealing from something a lot bigger than they had originally expected. Throw into the mix a Russian billionaire’s lucky painting getting stolen by a cracked-out rock star (who is supposed dead) and you’ve got a rough idea of what to expect.

Some of the interactions, particularly between Gerard Butler and his team where brilliantly amusing. The indestructible henchmen where priceless, and the ‘lucky painting’ has me scouring the galleries for a magic canvas of my own. I think I’ll find myself quoting this one just as much as its predecessors and I have already perfected the ‘Famous Archie Slap’ so watch out. I found that they where really over-milking the gay jokes and the rant about Cigarettes was twice as long as it needed to be- also the inclusion of Ludacris and Piven was an unnecessary tack-on that felt undercooked and little more than a couple of American name drops. That aside I have nothing bad to say about the movie. Fun. Action packed, clever and hilarious. Check it out.

No comments: