Friday, November 28, 2008

The Twilight Post

Being that I am not a 'tweenage girl with a vampire fetish, Twilight is not aimed at me. That said I came out of the movie not being totally upset. That I left to Sam, who was incredibly outraged at ‘what they did to the book’. My sister has read all of the Stephenie Meyer books and is a pretty big fan of the franchise, and apparently the big screen adaptation of the first chapter is not close to what the books offer. I can sort of relate as I am constantly let down by how much they manage to shave off of every Harry Potter storyline each time the red carpet rolls out. Pretty much if you are a fan of the books you will either love the movie or hate it, but this film won’t exactly reel in any non-believers.

The acting was a bit wooden and I couldn’t get behind Kristen Stewart as the lead girl for whatever rea
son. The family of vampires came across as a Disney channel TV show gone wrong- I half expected them to all start rocking out High School Musical style in each scene. The movie is pretty much a Robert Patterson vehicle, as he plays Edward the lead vampire slash heartthrob that the movie largely centers around. They really did tailor the vampire legend to fit into a Gossip Girl formula- for example sunlight doesn’t kill vampires, it only makes them sparkle like glittery angels. Apparently it’s every adolescent girl’s dream to be swept off their feet by the undead, providing of course they have chiseled features and a crap-load of hair product going at all times.

So this is pretty much the most useless review I could really offer anyone. I havn’t read the books so I don’t really have anything to compare it too and the fans apparently galvanize at the l
ove or loath ends of the spectrum. For Twilight felt a little rushed, had some pacing issues and needed to highlight the vampire fights/conflicts a little more and less on the high-school drama. Take my opinion for what its worth considering I am not the target here by a long shot. But as a movie, it’s as average as they come and won’t really do anything for the typical movie goers unless you are at least three of the following:

1: A Girl

2: Shop exclusively at Hot Topic

3: Cringe at the sight of tans
4: Own a vampire backpack sticker

5: Are in a Cederic Diggory fanclub

No comments: