Saturday, April 4, 2009

The I Love You Man Post

I Love You Man is a terrific movie that I toughly enjoyed (Dare I say I loved it man?... Yes, I dareth). Peter is getting Married but doesn’t have any friends because he has always put all his efforts into his girlfriends. Now he’s stuck trying to wrangle up a friend to be his best man. During a humorously unsuccessful search he meets Sydney, a down-to-earth, honest-to-god ‘dude’ in every sense of the word, and hilarity ensues. Rudd and Segal are in top form and deliver heartfelt and lovable characters that the audience can’t help but instantly relate to. Their nonchalant back and forth dialogues are priceless and bear an Anchorman-eske quotability. "Totes m’goats" has completely replaced ‘totally’ in my vocabulary. I really hope this, along with last years ‘Sarah Marshall’ helps put Segal on the map; he’s a really funny guy that I’d love to see get the Seth Rogan treatment more often.

Supporting cast where perfect from JK Simmons and Andy Sandburg in Rudd’s hilarious family, to Jon Favreau and Thomas Lennon’s distasteful encounters with Peter thr
oughout the movie. Everything fit so well. In fact the only weak link the chain is Rashida Jones who plays the to-be-wife. She’s just not likable enough for some reason. I kinda wanted Rudd and Segal to ditch her and go on their bro-mantic way. In fact the females don’t really pull their weight in this movie on the same level that the guys do. Considering the plot this isn’t necessarily unexpected, but with two characters so instantly likable and a supporting cast of hilarious male actors, it is very noticeable which team wins this movie’s battle of the sexes.

This movie had me laughing out loud and really enjoying it all the way through. There where a few too many awkward moments that where a bit rough to sit through, but squirming at the unfortunate circumstances always paid of with pure hilarity. I definitely see where this film will strike cords with people and be very reliably hilarious. Strongly recommend this one if you are looking for some good laughs.

No comments: