Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Art of Shaving Post

This Valentine’s Day was a good one, as it makes the first time Sarah and I where actually in the same place for the event in the past 6 years. Sarah gave me a gift card to The Art of Shaving, a small store in Tyson’s Corner that focus’ on, well, shaving. I had an appointment and went in for a ‘traditional shave’ where Al the Barber- as he introduced himself, gave me proper shave. Now I’m no wild-man, but I do rock the stubble probably a little more than most. Having a proper shave, and potentially learning the best method to replicate it on my own was really exciting to me. Plus I like the occasional pampering, and this is manly pampering… right? Anyway I had the whole hot towel and wet shave treatment in the store’s barber chair. It was a little odd feeling like I was on display to a degree, but as with getting a haircut/wash, the soothing nature of it all sort of negates any awkwardness. I had conveniently ran out of shaving cream last week and was pushing a borderline beard when it came time for my appointment, so Al-the-Barber had his work cut out for him. It was pretty cool all in all. Sarah also gave me a shaving kit with the lather brush and various creams, so hopefully I’ll be able to improve my own skills (or lack there of) with a razor. It was a great idea for a gift, and a particularly creative Valentine’s idea. Afterward we did a little shopping, caught a movie and went to Brio for dinner. All romantically, and whatnot.

1 comment:

mantic59 said...

You might find some benefit from my 'how to shave properly' videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59