Monday, February 23, 2009

The Oscar Worthy Post

I didn’t really watch the Oscar’s last night. Unless you count having it on in the other room while I was working at the computer…in that case then I totally watched the whole thing! There where only two categories I was particularly invested in this year and those where Best Supporting Actor and Best Animated Feature Film. Not that I was worried about my picks, but I wanted to make sure Pixar’s Wall.e got the nod over the competition for the best animation. I laughed out loud at Jack Black’s Dreamworks burn- very nice. I, like so many people watching, was hoping that Heath Ledger’s Joker would win the Oscar nod. It’s so rare that a comic-based role is given such a powerful portrayal, and even rarer that it should have the academy notice. Combined with his early death and the buzz associated with a post-mortem nomination there really was a reason to keep an eye on the category. I am really glad that he won. Not to discredit the other guys, but I am very pleased that his family got to walk away with his gold. The standing ovation they got and the teary-eyed shots of his former peers was really rather emotional. Topping that for Batman 3 will be a tough one Mr. Nolan… think you can do it? How about a wager? If you top Dark Knight then I’ll go see slumdog millionaire*.

* I’ll give you a head start, get a twisted version of the Riddler in there and pair him with a visual effects bad guy like Killer Croc or Bane. Even then it'll be hard to top Ledger's Joker.

No comments: