Friday, January 23, 2009

The Baracknroll Post

Tuesday was a big deal for America especially people in the DC area. The Presidential Inauguration has closed down the city for the better part of a week, been on the lips of every radio and television reporter, and generated a buzz unlike anything has in quite some time. I didn't head down to the mall to watch in person simply because I got a taste of the craziness at a pre-president rally and didn't want to attempt to tackle it again. I would have loved to go, but logistically it just didn't make any sense. I watched the swearing in and his address on the TV at the office, so I didn't miss out. Everyone clapped after he took the oath. It was really quite moving.

I will be the first to admit that I live a fairly unremarkable life. I am not making or breaking laws, forging new paths of the future or the center of an international event. That said I cannot help but recognize how while myself might not be changing the world, the world is definitely changing around me. I live (as we all do) in a very remarkable age and through events that will fill new editions of the history books we all read in school. The idea that I am being a part of history in this way is rather satisfying to me, and puts a lot of things in perspective. I look forward to looking down at a history book and remembering where I was when a historical event happened, and being able to tell my children or grandchildren what it was like being alive during various events and times- good and bad. The idea that any given day could be the next 911 or political breakthrough; the beginning or end or the next war, or a scientific discovery. I respect all that has happened and look forward to what lays ahead.

No comments: