Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Snow Driving Post

Today was the first major snowfall since I’ve been back, and while not that impressive as far as inches of snow on the ground, the roads where particularly perilous around the apartment. I knew I was in for a hard time when my car couldn’t leave the apartment complex through the main entrance. The incline was too slick and the Celica was spinning out and sliding allover the place trying to get up it. I had to commit and made it to the top after taking it reeeeally slowly, but once I got to the top I turned around once I hit the main road just because it was too slick. I opted to head through the back roads which where all downhill and made it out to a road that had been plowed. However on the final decline my breaks grinded and locked up and I slid down the hill. Fortunately there was no one else on the road and I was able to slowly gain control of the car and get onto a plowed road.

It’s a horrible feeling not being in control of your vehicle and I’m really hesitant to venture out in the Celica again if the roads are going to be this bad. One of the great things about working for Avectra is that I have the flexibility of dialing in and working from home if need be. So I can wait for them to plow my street before heading in, while getting work done from the house. It’s nice to work at a place where I have that flexibility and a definite plus of working for a bigger company. We are expecting another 4 inches overnight which, if today was any indication of, will be pretty hazardous on the roads. My advice…stay home if you can. Oh and don’t drive rear-wheel sporty little cars up icy hills.

No comments: